Primary Muscle Group(s): Calves
|Secondary Muscle Group(s):
1. Standing upright, place your toes on the apparatus platform. Ensure that you are on the balls of your feet at the edge of the apparatus platform.
2. Slowly drop your heels as far as they can go.
3. Place your hands on the shoulder pads.
4. Rise up as high as possible on the balls of your toes without excessive knee bending.
5. Slowly lower your heels as far as possible. Do not bounce at the bottom of the movement. Repeat.
The standing calf raise is the staple of any body builder's calf routine.
The standing calf raise is a fantastic exercise for building large, diamond shaped calves. It's a very simple exercise to do and can be done virtually anywhere - On stairs, on a bench, on a piece of wood, anywhere that has an edge.
The motion is quite simple - Up and down. However, most trainers don't realize that the top and bottom parts are the most important. Really squeeze at the top part of this movement. Stretch the calves on the bottom part of this movement.
Remember, no bouncing or jerking. Once you start to do this, you need to lighten the weight. The weight has to be under control from start to finish.
Press play to view an instructional video on how to properly perform the standing calf raise.
- Lose 25 to 40 pounds in 3 months!
- Gain 35% to 60% more strength in 3 months!
- Lose stomach fat and build abs!
- Build muscle and get super fit!
- Any age!
Spots are filling up fast for my private coaching program!!
As the owner of Building Muscle 101, I am committed to providing you the best practical weight training advice. I've been training for over 24 years (and still train to this day!) and the advice and guidance I provide comes directly from my experience and knowledge.
Home > Exercise Database > Calf Exercises