Primary Muscle Group(s): Triceps
|Secondary Muscle Group(s): Shoulders
1. Pick up a dumbbell. While standing or seated, raise the dumbbell over your head. Make sure your arm is fully extended. Keep your elbow fixed in that position.
2. Slowly lower the weight, bending at the elbow, until it reached the back of your head. You should feel a slight stretch in your tricep.
3. Pause at the bottom of the movement and slowly raise the weight back up to it's starting position using only your tricep.
4. Repeat for the other arm.
The one arm dumbbell extension is considered an isolation exercise that targets the entire triceps muscle.
This exercise is done with a dumbbell and can be done either standing or seated. This exercise is all about concentration so you really need to feel the weight going up and down. I suggest you start with light weight in order to get a feel for this exercise.
Remember to keep your elbow stationary throughout the entire movement. Go down to ear level and go back up.
Keep your back straight and head level at all times.
Press play to view an instructional video on how to properly perform the one arm dumbbell extension.
- Lose 25 to 40 pounds in 3 months!
- Gain 35% to 60% more strength in 3 months!
- Lose stomach fat and build abs!
- Build muscle and get super fit!
- Any age!
Spots are filling up fast for my private coaching program!!
As the owner of Building Muscle 101, I am committed to providing you the best practical weight training advice. I've been training for over 24 years (and still train to this day!) and the advice and guidance I provide comes directly from my experience and knowledge.
Home > Exercise Database > Triceps Exercises