Primary Muscle Group(s): Triceps
|Secondary Muscle Group(s): Shoulders (Front), Chest
1. Grasp a barbell or an E-Z curl bar using an overhand grip with hands less than shoulder width apart.
2. On a flat bench, lie on your back with your feet firmly planted on the ground and your back flat against the bench.
3. The bar should be should be directly over your head and your arms fully extended.
4. Keeping your upper arms straight and fixed, slowly bend your elbows and lower the bar to your forehead. You should be almost touching your forehead.
5. Using your triceps, push the weight back up to the starting position. Repeat the movement. Keep your elbows in at all times.
6. When your finished the movement, you can either sit up with the weight or drop it to the floor while you are lying on the bench. It will take a little practise but you'll get it.
The lying triceps is a compound movement that is considered a triceps mass builder. Often called "skull crushers", this exercise uses the triceps as the primary muscle group. Secondary muscle groups include the front shoulders, and chest.
This exercise can be done with a barbell, or a EZ curl bar, or with dumbbells.
To get the most from this exercise, make sure your elbows are back a bit, and stationary. Your elbows shouldn't move throughout the entire movement. Keep your feet planted firmly on the ground and keep your head and butt on the bench.
Press play to view an instructional video on how to properly perform the lying triceps extension.
- Lose 25 to 40 pounds in 3 months!
- Gain 35% to 60% more strength in 3 months!
- Lose stomach fat and build abs!
- Build muscle and get super fit!
- Any age!
Spots are filling up fast for my private coaching program!!
As the owner of Building Muscle 101, I am committed to providing you the best practical weight training advice. I've been training for over 24 years (and still train to this day!) and the advice and guidance I provide comes directly from my experience and knowledge.
Home > Exercise Database > Triceps Exercises