Primary Muscle Group(s): Chest (Pectorals)
|Secondary Muscle Group(s): Shoulders (Front) and Triceps
1. While seated on the edge of an incline bench, grasp two dumbbells in an overhand grip.
2. Rest the dumbbells in an upright position on the edge of your knees.
3. Carefully lie on the incline bench, bringing the dumbbells to the sides of your torso at chest level. Make sure to bring the dumbbells up simultaneously. Feet should be planted firmly on the floor.
4. Slowly adjust the dumbbells with your arms fully extended at right angles to the floor. Press the weight up to the locked position. The dumbbells should be held directly over your chest area, slightly touching each other with palms facing inward.
5. Elbows must remain flexed throughout the entire movement.
6. Slowly lower your arms out to the side of your body with your arms at right angles. The dumbbells should be slowly lowered in an arc like motion toward the floor until your chest is comfortably stretched.
7. At the bottom position of the exercise your hands should be parallel the trunk of your body. Raise and repeat. The elbows should be slightly bent throughout the whole movement and should not be altered from start to finish (imagine your arms wrapping around a large tree).
The incline dumbbell fly is a great isolation exercise for the upper chest. Although considered an isolation exercise, it does incorporate the front shoulders and triceps.
The incline dumbbell fly is a very effective exercise that flushes the entire chest area with blood. Remember, the degree of incline should be between 30 and 45 degrees - No more than 45 degrees, otherwise, you'll be targeting the front deltoids more than your upper chest.
I personally like to use the incline dumbbell fly at the end of my workouts or as a super set with a compound movement such as the bench press.
Click play on the following video for further instructions.
- Lose 25 to 40 pounds in 3 months!
- Gain 35% to 60% more strength in 3 months!
- Lose stomach fat and build abs!
- Build muscle and get super fit!
- Any age!
Spots are filling up fast for my private coaching program!!
As the owner of Building Muscle 101, I am committed to providing you the best practical weight training advice. I've been training for over 24 years (and still train to this day!) and the advice and guidance I provide comes directly from my experience and knowledge.
Home > Exercise Database > Chest Exercises