Primary Muscle Group(s): Hamstrings
Secondary Muscle Group(s):
- Gluteus maximus (Butt)
- Lower Back
1. With your feet about shoulder length apart, pick up a pair of dumbbells. The dumbbells should be at your sides with your arms fully extended downwards.
2. Keep your knees slightly bent and buttocks out. Slowly bend at the waist while lowering the dumbbells past your knees. You should feel a slight stretch in your hamstrings and glutes.
3. Slowly raise the bar upwards back to the starting position. Remember to squeeze your buttocks and hamstrings on the way up.
4. Always keep your back straight and keep the weight moderate on this exercise.
The dumbbell stiff leg dead lift is basically the same exercise as the barbell version of this exercise - The only difference are the dumbbells.
This exercise is a great hamstring builder. The lower back, glutes, and calves are also hit as secondary muscle groups.
Remember, you don't need heavy weight for this exercise. Keep the weight moderate, keep your back straight during the entire movement, and keep your head level at all times. You should only be bending at your waist with a slight bend in your knees.
At the bottom portion of this movement, you should feel a comfortable stretch. Also, when you are coming up, really squeeze your hamstrings and glutes.
Press play to view an instructional video.
- Lose 25 to 40 pounds in 3 months!
- Gain 35% to 60% more strength in 3 months!
- Lose stomach fat and build abs!
- Build muscle and get super fit!
- Any age!
Spots are filling up fast for my private coaching program!!
As the owner of Building Muscle 101, I am committed to providing you the best practical weight training advice. I've been training for over 24 years (and still train to this day!) and the advice and guidance I provide comes directly from my experience and knowledge.
Home > Exercise Database > Hamstring Exercises