Primary Muscle Group(s): Back, Front Thighs, Gluteus Maximus (Butt)
|Secondary Muscle Group(s): Abs, Biceps, Hamstrings and Calves
1. Standing with feet at shoulder length, bend at the knees and pick up two pairs of dumbbells. Stand up until the dumbbells are at your sides.
2. Slowly bend at the knees until the dumbbells reach the floor. Remember to bend with your knees and not the back.
3. Your thighs should be almost parallel to the ground while your arms are held straight with no bend.
4. Slowly stand back up to the starting position. The arms should remain straight as you come to a standing position.
The dumbbell dead lift is a variation of the traditional barbell dead lift. All the same muscle groups are used and the lift is basically the same. The only difference is that your going to be using dumbbells instead of a barbell. A perfect exercise for those of you who don't have access to a barbell.
This exercise is considered a compound movement using the lower back, front thighs, and the butt as primary muscle groups. Secondary muscle groups include biceps, abs, calves, and hamstrings.
You may be wondering what the difference is between the dumbbell dead lift and the dumbbell squat. Here are the main differences:
- While keeping your back straight, bend more at the knees and concentrate on the quads while sticking your butt out. The most important element of this movement is to keep all focus and tension on the quadriceps (front part of the thigh) so do not lock out on the top part of the movement.
- While keeping your back straight, bend more at the hip rather than your knees. The most important element of this movement is to tighten your hamstrings and butt once you complete the upward motion (top part of the movement). You may lock out on the top part of the movement but make sure you squeeze your hamstrings and butt before performing another repetition.
Press play to view an instructional video on how to properly perform the dumbbell deadlift.
- Lose 25 to 40 pounds in 3 months!
- Gain 35% to 60% more strength in 3 months!
- Lose stomach fat and build abs!
- Build muscle and get super fit!
- Any age!
Spots are filling up fast for my private coaching program!!
As the owner of Building Muscle 101, I am committed to providing you the best practical weight training advice. I've been training for over 24 years (and still train to this day!) and the advice and guidance I provide comes directly from my experience and knowledge.
Home > Exercise Database > Back Exercises