Primary Muscle Group(s): Chest (Pectorals)
|Secondary Muscle Group(s): Shoulders (Front) and Triceps
1. Grab a pair of dumbbells and position yourself on the decline bench (This will take some practice so start light). While on the decline bench, grasp two dumbbells in an overhand grip.
2. Rest the dumbbells in an upright position on the edge of your knees.
3. Carefully lie on the flat bench, bringing the dumbbells to the sides of your torso at chest level. Make sure to bring the dumbbells up simultaneously. Feet should be planted firmly on the floor.
4. Slowly adjust the dumbbells with your arms fully extended at right angles to the floor. Press the weight up to the locked position. The dumbbells should be held directly over your chest area, slightly touching each other with palms facing forward.
5. Slowly bend you arms and lower both dumbbells in a slow, controlled fashion to your chest. The dumbbells should be at the sides of your chest.
6. Slowly press the weight back up from the sides of your chest to the starting position. Do not bounce the weight from the chest. Keep you elbows out and away from the trunk of your body.
The decline dumbbell bench press is considered a compound movement that primarily targets the chest (lower chest). Other secondary muscles involved are the front shoulders and triceps.
This exercise can be tricky to do for first timers so I suggest you start with light weight. Since your in a decline position, you'll find you have less control of the weight as compared to the bench press. Also, you may want to get used to getting the weight in place before moving on to heavier weight, as this can be tricky.
I suggest resting the weight on your knees at the top of the movement as you get into position and bringing them to your chest as you get into position. As you get stronger, your going to need to use spotters to pass you the weight.
Press play to view an instructional video on how to properly perform the decline dumbbell bench press.
- Lose 25 to 40 pounds in 3 months!
- Gain 35% to 60% more strength in 3 months!
- Lose stomach fat and build abs!
- Build muscle and get super fit!
- Any age!
Spots are filling up fast for my private coaching program!!
As the owner of Building Muscle 101, I am committed to providing you the best practical weight training advice. I've been training for over 24 years (and still train to this day!) and the advice and guidance I provide comes directly from my experience and knowledge.
Home > Exercise Database > Chest Exercises