Primary Muscle Group(s): Shoulders (Rear)
|Secondary Muscle Group(s): Trapezius
1. In a seated position with your feet firmly planted on the floor, grasp two dumbbells with both hands.
2. Bend over until your body is roughly parallel to the ground or slightly above. Your chest should almost be touching your thighs.
3. In a controlled fashion, raise the dumbbells with both hands using your shoulders, out and away from the body. You should raise the dumbbells to each side until they are parallel with the upper back.
4. Pause for a moment and slowly lower the weight to the initial position.
The bent over lateral raise directly hits the rear deltoids (Shoulders). Considered an isolation exercise, it also exercises the trapezius muscles, which are considered secondary muscles. This exercise also hits the side deltoids as well.
There are many variations of this exercise, and can be done seated or bent over. I personally prefer to to them seated since I can concentrate on my form and technique, which is very important for this exercise.
Remember, you don't need to go very heavy in order to get the benefit from this exercise. Practice good form and you'll get the most from this exercise.
Press play to view an instructional video on how to properly perform the bent over lateral.
Do you need help putting your diet and training program together? Do you need help finding out what you need to be doing to lose 10, 20 or even 40 pounds of body weight? Do you need help gaining body mass or strength? Do you need help finding out how much weight you need to be using? Let me know and I'll tell you what you need to be doing to reach your goals. This is a free service and I'm more than willing to help. Just go to this page here and fill out the online form and hit submit. I'll get back to you ASAP (I won't collect your email address or spam you). Just ask me your question and I'll answer it.
All the best and good luck,
- Lose 25 to 40 pounds in 3 months!
- Gain 35% to 60% more strength in 3 months!
- Lose stomach fat and build abs!
- Build muscle and get super fit!
- Any age!
Spots are filling up fast for my private coaching program!!
As the owner of Building Muscle 101, I am committed to providing you the best practical weight training advice. I've been training for over 24 years (and still train to this day!) and the advice and guidance I provide comes directly from my experience and knowledge.
Home > Exercise Database > Shoulder Exercises