Primary Muscle Group(s): Back
|Secondary Muscle Group(s): Shoulders (Front & Rear) and Biceps
1. Stand in front of a lat pull down apparatus and grasp the bar using an overhand grip at least one foot wider than your shoulders on each side.
2. Sit down with your feet firmly planted on the floor with your body straight and thighs secured underneath the thigh pads.
3. Slightly arched your torso. Keep your body straight and rigid throughout the whole movement.
4. Hold the bar overhead with your arms at full extension.
5. In a controlled fashion, pull the bar down in front of your head until you gently touch the upper chest area. Pause.
6. Slowly bring the bar back to the starting position until your arms are straight.
The lat machine pulldown is a great exercise for the upper back. Although the entire back region is exercised, the primary area targeted is the upper and outer back. Secondary muscles are the shoulders (front and rear) and biceps.
The lat machine pulldown can be classified as a compound movement because it hits the entire back region as well as the shoulders and biceps.
This exercise is great for building upper back thickness and width.
For those of you who can't perform the wide grip chin up, this is the perfect substitute because it is basically the same movement.
In order to do this movement, your going to need access to a lat machine pull down station.
Press play to view an instructional video.
Need to gain 10 pounds of muscle and get ripped FAST?
Kyle Leon has helped thousands of people just like you get big, lean and ripped in a short period of time. He offers a 9 week muscle building / get ripped system that I highly recommend. I've purchased and used his system and it is one of the better systems out there. Here's why it works - It uses your own body type to create a truly unique muscle building system. The system uses:
To produce a 9 week muscle building course that includes a weight training program and custom nutrition system. I've actually purchased and used the program myself. You can read my review of this program at:
Also check out his video and he explains the 3 things that you MUST avoid if you want to build muscle and get ripped. Check it out here.
As the owner of Building Muscle 101, I am committed to providing you the best practical weight training advice. I've been training for over 24 years (and still train to this day!) and the advice and guidance I provide comes directly from my experience and knowledge.
Home > Exercise Database > Back Exercises