Beginners Guide to Weight Training
• Bench. This can be a very simple bench that allows you to perform those exercises that require a bench. Remember, it doesn’t have to be a fancy bench but it does have to support your weight (plus the dumbbells). Again, you can probably find an inexpensive bench at your local Walmart or K-mart. You can generally pick up an inexpensive exercise bench for under $50. Commercial gyms will have a variety of benches to choose from. Check out the images below of sample benches. Images courtesy of www.overstock.com
• Workout clothing. You will need simple exercise clothing that allows mobility and range of motion. Don’t wear anything tight because it will restrict your range of motion and effect exercise technique. A simple jogging pant/loose shorts and a loose fitting t-shirt will suffice. Also, choose a comfortable jogging shoe that offers plenty of support. Again, you can get half decent workout apparel at your local Walmart or K-mart. For detailed information regarding proper workout apparel, please click here.
• Cardiovascular equipment. We are going to be performing cardiovascular exercises in order to warm the body up and in some cases, finish our workouts with them. If you have access to certain types of cardio equipment such as a treadmill, elliptical trainer, stair stepper, or other machines, great. If not, don’t worry about it. You can generally do jumping jacks, jump rope, or walking / running on the spot to receive the benefit of cardiovascular exercise. Weather permitting, you may even take a simple walk prior to working out. The point is to warm your body up for the upcoming workout.
• Space. Ideally, you want ample space that allows you to move about freely. Find enough space in your home or apartment that allows you enough space for an exercise bench, dumbbells and a place for simple cardiovascular exercise IE: Jumping jacks and stretching.
The important thing to remember is not to let cost stop you from enjoying the benefits of weight training. If you find the equipment too expensive, you can generally find what you need at second hand stores, or on Kijijii.com (A great place to find great fitness equipment). Simply go to the Kijijii website and type in your location in the search bar. Once the location is set, type in the type of equipment you need, such as “dumbbells”. The website will do the rest.
What I’m going to do now is outline what the weight training portion of the program will entail. It’s pretty simple and straightforward and as I mentioned before, all you have to do is follow the program and you’ll do just fine.
Here’s a quick look at what’s included in Building Muscle 101's complete beginners guide to weight training:
• 3 day a week weight training course. That is, you will be weight training 3 days out of the week.
• Each exercise session is divided into upper and lower body exercises with day 1 being reserved for upper body, day 2 for lower body, day 3 for upper body, and so on and so forth.
• Each weight training session will be approximately 20 to 30 minutes in length.
• Each exercise will include a full description and illustration. Most exercises also comes with an instructional video.
• All prescribed sets and repetitions are laid out in an easy to read format.
• All aspects of each exercise including weight, rest and duration are fully explained.
Now that we have an idea of what it is we are doing, let’s jump right in and get started.
Continue to Next Page:
Site protected by copyscape | copysentry